One of the most exciting parts of nature photography is the ability (and of course, sometimes, the necessity) to travel to wonderful, natural locations. With that in mind, I lead tours independently and with some of the leading tour operators in the UK and overseas to escort groups to some fantastic places in search of life-changing photographic possibilities!
My ethos for leading tours is simple: it must be a dedicated, completely focused photography experience, and not one that is simply claiming to be. I want you to get the best possible opportunity for securing that “once in a lifetime” shot, as well as have a great holiday at the same time! Limited availability exists on all the trips I am contracted to lead, or lead myself, and as such it is always advisable to book as quickly as possible. Get in touch with me first in order that I can ensure you get on the trip.
For many years I have seen people be so disappointed with the “photographic” tours that they have been sent on. Often, they are merely photo-focused in name only, rather than genuinely catering to the needs of the traveller.
Every trip I lead is different to the “norm” that you get fobbed off with most of the time. For example:
- By limiting group sizes you get plenty of time for 1-2-1 time for tuition and guidance
- We spend longer in the field, watching, waiting, photographing and observing…and basically revelling in the environment!
- We stay in the best location for the experience; at times this might cost a bit more; at others it might be not completely 5 star….but, rather than have you waste time “commuting” to the action, I put you where it happens and maximise your time.
- We tend to stay longer than most and will always go in the best season for the experience; this is not about getting “cheaper” rates in a shoulder or off season, but instead putting the best possible photographic and wildlife viewing experience right in front of you. Essentially, you go when I would go myself if travelling on a shoot. Yes, this may cost more, but ask yourself…is it quality or cost that matters most?
- We have a great time…this, after all, is your holiday too…and I want to make sure that you are heading home with memories and memory cards filled with exciting experiences
- You don’t need to be a photographer to have a great trip…but you will benefit from being around people who want to experience nature at an unhurried, expertly guided pace. There’s none of this rattling around 5 venues in 7 days on my trips! Instead we take time to concentrate on areas and do them well. That is how photography works.
- I take you where I go to take photographs commercially. You are in the same places, at the same times, using the same routes that are tried and trusted by a professional. There is no need to fill a quota of “bed nights” at a specific location, and hence turning your tour into something that suits the operator, not the person travelling!
- We can send you to other locations through a network of connections, on unguided adventures also. All the above principles remain, with the only difference being that I will not be there to help.
TO RESERVE YOUR SPACE ON ANY OF THE TRIPS BELOW, SIMPLY FOLLOW THE LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION, OR CONTACT ME DIRECTLY. BECAUSE I AM OFTEN OUT OF THE COUNTRY, EMAIL WORKS BEST, SO IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, SEND A MESSAGE TO ANDY@FAUNAVISTA.COM
All trips organised directly by me are fully covered and bonded (although…we don’t do flights!), as per the information later on this page (see “our commitment”). For those where I am contracted to lead with other companies, then, obviously, they will supply full coverage also directly.
Scheduled Departures – 2018
Polar bear newborn cubs, Baffin Island, Canada, March/April (1 SPACE AVAILABLE)
Walking with Pumas, Chile, February/March (ENQUIRE NOW – THESE ARE UNGUIDED BY ME AND BESPOKE)
Leopards and bears of India, April (ENQUIRE NOW, THESE ARE UNGUIDED BY ME, AND BESPOKE)
Africa workshop, Vic Falls and Botswana, June (FULL FOR 2018; RESERVE LIST AVAILABLE, CLICK HERE FOR INFO’)
Into the Valley…a Zambian adventure, August (4 SPACES AVAILABLE, CLICK HERE FOR INFO’)
Kodiak: up close and personal, Alaska, September (FULL FOR 2018; RESERVE LIST AVAILABLE, CLICK HERE FOR INFO’)
Paradise in the Pantanal, Brazil, October (FULL FOR 2018; ENQUIRE FOR 2019, CLICK HERE FOR INFO’)
Dual Lodge Polar bear safari; Seal River and Nanuk, Manitoba, Canada, October (FULL FOR 2018, ENQUIRE FOR 2019)
*All prices are quoted as per person based on two people sharing accommodation. Single rooms/cabins/tents are available on some trips, but please enquire at the time of booking as in certain circumstances a single supplement will apply. Some trips are in conjunction with other operators and will be billed directly from the provider whilst other trips are organised solely by Andy Skillen Photography (FaunaVista LLP) and will be invoiced as such.
Of course, a long career of working around the globe has enabled me to forge a network of contacts. It is that network that I am now going to be making available to nature photographers of all standards and levels.
As such, in addition to the aforementioned, diarized photography trips, I also offer the option to guide you, your family or your group to a wide number of wildlife destinations around the globe. My principal aim is to give you an authentic wildlife photography adventure, and put you in the best place to get the images you are seeking.
Depending on destination, or the type of species you are looking to photograph, I will advise on the ideal group size that would work in order to maximize your viewing and picture-taking opportunity. Once all that is sorted out, we will decide on the logistics and optimal time to travel and, well, then that’s that until we set off!
My principal aim is to put you in the best locations I know, along with the leading local guides in the region, and ensure you have a true, photographic experience….not just one that masquerades as such! So, there will be no simply “processing” of large groups or sticking with rigid itineraries that bear little relation to what you and your group were seeking to achieve. Instead, you will be taken to and shown the best wildlife photography locations on the planet, in an unhurried, utterly bespoke fashion.
I will be there on hand, throughout the trip to provide coaching, advice, assistance and to ensure that the whole experience is one you will remember forever. This will be your chance to be an on-location wildlife photographer, with all the excitement and challenges that it brings.
If you have a group that would like to pull together, a location, species or natural spectacle that you have in mind then contact me to discuss further. There are limited openings in the course of a year, so the earlier you can plan, the better the chances are of making the dream happen, whether that is Himalayan black bears on foot, red pandas, pumas, leopards or, well, you name it!
FaunaVista LLP (Andy Skillen Photography) is a company committed to customer satisfaction and consumer financial protection. We are therefore pleased to announce that, at no extra cost to you, and in accordance with ”The Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 1992” all passengers booking with FaunaVista LLP is fully insured for the initial deposit, and subsequently the balance of monies paid as detailed in your booking confirmation form. The policy will also include repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of FaunaVista LLP. This insurance has been arranged with Affirma a trading brand of MGA Cover Services Limited (registered address Farren House The Street, Farren Court Cowfold West Sussex RH 13 8BP, company registration: 08444204 authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority registration number 678541) under a binding authority with the insurer CBL Insurance Europe Limited (registered address 2nd Floor 13-17 Dawson Street Dublin 2 Ireland, who are authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority registration number 203120) .
In the unlikely event of insolvency, you must inform Affirma (MGA Cover Services Limited) immediately on +44 (0) 20 3540 4422. Please ensure you retain your booking confirmation form as evidence of cover and value.
Policy exclusions: This policy will not cover any monies paid back to you by your Travel Insurance or any losses which are recoverable under another insurance or bond.
“Just tell me where Andy is guiding next…and sign me up”
“An outstanding tour leader with a great sense of humour”
“I have been on many photo tours, but being with Andy has taught me the most”