Guided photo safaris
One of the most exciting parts of nature photography is the ability (and of course, sometimes, the necessity) to travel to wonderful, natural locations. With that in mind, I lead tours independently and with some of the leading tour operators in the UK and overseas to escort groups to some fantastic places in search of life-changing photographic possibilities!
My ethos for leading tours is simple: it must be a dedicated, completely focused photography experience, and not one that is simply claiming to be. I want you to get the best possible opportunity for securing that “once in a lifetime” shot, as well as have a great holiday at the same time! Limited availability exists on all the trips I am contracted to lead, or lead myself, and as such it is always advisable to book as quickly as possible. Get in touch with me first in order that I can ensure you get on the trip.
For many years I have seen people be so disappointed with the “photographic” tours that they have been sent on. Often, they are merely photo-focused in name only, rather than genuinely catering to the needs of the traveller.
Every trip I lead is different to the “norm” that you get fobbed off with most of the time. For example:
- By limiting group sizes you get plenty of time for 1-2-1 time for tuition and guidance
- We spend longer in the field, watching, waiting, photographing and observing…and basically revelling in the environment!
- We stay in the best location for the experience; at times this might cost a bit more; at others it might be not completely 5 star….but, rather than have you waste time “commuting” to the action, I put you where it happens and maximise your time.
- We tend to stay longer than most and will always go in the best season for the experience; this is not about getting “cheaper” rates in a shoulder or off season, but instead putting the best possible photographic and wildlife viewing experience right in front of you. Essentially, you go when I would go myself if travelling on a shoot. Yes, this may cost more, but ask yourself…is it quality or cost that matters most?
- We have a great time…this, after all, is your holiday too…and I want to make sure that you are heading home with memories and memory cards filled with exciting experiences
- You don’t need to be a photographer to have a great trip…but you will benefit from being around people who want to experience nature at an unhurried, expertly guided pace. There’s none of this rattling around 5 venues in 7 days on my trips! Instead we take time to concentrate on areas and do them well. That is how photography works.
- I take you where I go to take photographs commercially. You are in the same places, at the same times, using the same routes that are tried and trusted by a professional. There is no need to fill a quota of “bed nights” at a specific location, and hence turning your tour into something that suits the operator, not the person travelling!
- We can send you to other locations through a network of connections, on unguided adventures also. All the above principles remain, with the only difference being that I will not be there to help.
TO RESERVE YOUR SPACE ON ANY OF THE TRIPS BELOW, SIMPLY FOLLOW THE LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION, OR CONTACT ME DIRECTLY. BECAUSE I AM OFTEN OUT OF THE COUNTRY, EMAIL WORKS BEST, SO IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, SEND A MESSAGE TO ANDY@FAUNAVISTA.COM
All trips organised directly by me are fully covered and bonded (although…we don’t do flights!), as per the information later on this page (see “our commitment”). For the polar bear guiding, I am contracted to Churchill Wild and Arctic Kingdom, and as such this is supplied by these parties directly.
Scheduled Departures – 2018 (click here for bespoke trip info’)
Into the Valley…a Zambian adventure, August(1 female share space available only, click here for info’)
Polar bear newborn cubs, Baffin Island, Canada, March/April (Wait list available for 2019)
Africa workshop: Vic Falls and Botswana, June (Full; wait-list available)
Kodiak: up close and personal, Alaska, September (Full; wait-list available)
Paradise in the Pantanal, Brazil, October (Full; 2019 trip now open for bookings)
Dual Lodge Polar bear safari; Manitoba, October (Full; Enquire for 2019 by email)
Single Lodge Polar bear safari, Nanuk, Manitoba, October (Full, enquire for 2019 by email)
Scheduled Departures – 2019 (note for bespoke trips, please enquire)
Because of demand, I will be running TWO trips to Yellowstone and the Tetons and also TWO trips to the Pantanal. The dates for the former will be announced in May this year. The additional Pantanal departure will run prior to the original one and the dates can be found by following the link. Please note that in terms of timings and accommodation, both Yellowstone trips and both Pantanal trips will follow the same itineraries.
Yellowstone & The Tetons in Spring, late May/early June
(Group size: 6; FULL; NEW ENQUIRIES WILL BE PLACED ON THE EXTRA DEPARTURE.
Yellowstone & The Tetons in Spring, late May/early June – EXTRA DEPARTURE
(Group size: 6; Spaces remaining: 4 click here for info’)
Botswana: a triple-site photo adventure, July
(Group size:4; FULL click here for info’)
In-depth Botswana: a river and delta experience, July
(Group size: 4; FULL; (click here for info’)
Grizzlies of the Nakina: Canada, July/August
(Group size 8: FULL; wait-list – please email)
Paradise in the Pantanal, Brazil, September/October
(Group size: 6; FULL (click here for info’)
Paradise in the Pantanal, Brazil, September/October – ADDITIONAL DEPARTURE
(Group size: 6; FULL click here for info’)
Dual Lodge Polar bear safari; Manitoba, October (FULL, click here for info’)
Nanuk Lodge Polar bear safari, Manitoba, October/November (open for booking, click here)
*All prices are quoted as per person based on two people sharing accommodation. Single rooms/cabins/tents are available on some trips, but please enquire at the time of booking as in certain circumstances a single supplement will apply. Polar bear trips are in conjunction with either Churchill Wild or Arctic Kingdom.
FaunaVista LLP (Andy Skillen Photography) is a company committed to customer satisfaction and consumer financial protection. We are therefore pleased to announce that, at no extra cost to you, and in accordance with ”The Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 1992” all passengers booking with FaunaVista LLP is fully insured for the initial deposit, and subsequently the balance of monies paid as detailed in your booking confirmation form. The policy will also include repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of FaunaVista LLP. This insurance has been arranged with Affirma a trading brand of MGA Cover Services Limited (registered address Farren House The Street, Farren Court Cowfold West Sussex RH 13 8BP, company registration: 08444204 authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority registration number 678541) under a binding authority with the insurer CBL Insurance Europe Limited (registered address 2nd Floor 13-17 Dawson Street Dublin 2 Ireland, who are authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority registration number 203120) .
In the unlikely event of insolvency, you must inform Affirma (MGA Cover Services Limited) immediately on +44 (0) 20 3540 4422. Please ensure you retain your booking confirmation form as evidence of cover and value.
Policy exclusions: This policy will not cover any monies paid back to you by your Travel Insurance or any losses which are recoverable under another insurance or bond.
“Just tell me where Andy is guiding next…and sign me up”
“An outstanding tour leader with a great sense of humour”
“I have been on many photo tours, but being with Andy has taught me the most”